Summary & Responce

First Draft

What I Like About Me! by Allia Zobel-Nolan and illustrated by Miki Sakamoto is a children’s book that teaches a great lesson on diversity and accepting yourself for who you are. This book is mainly targeted for three to eight-year-olds and the lesson they take away from it is something you can use in your life forever. The artwork in the book shows the diversity that kids would be exposed to like someone with straight hair and someone with curly hair. The author brings up the idea that kids could have fun no matter how tall or short you are, as long as you are together. The illustrator included pictures of many different displays of kids like a kid with a unibrow, someone with braces, someone with big ears, someone with braces, and even a child with big feet. The book also touched on how kids come from different backgrounds of life and they realized this when they attended lunch. The children in the lunch table had brought their own food from home which should their culture and some of the foods were a burrito, sushi, and curry. In the end, all the students in the class came to the conclusion that they all don’t look the same but that’s what makes life great. The ending also includes an interactive part of it because it includes a mirror so when the child reads it they can see themselves and read the question on top “What is it you like best about you?”. The moral of this book is to accept your differences and celebrate your differences with the people around you. 

This children’s book does represent who I am as an adult because it helped me learn about different people and accepting everyone’s differences. The style of the book puts those ideas in such a simple way for children and everyone to understand. As a child, I never understood why people looked the way they do and I would always questioned it. I was always made fun of when I was younger because my arms were hairier than some girls and this book would have helped those kids realized that everyone is not the same and we should not judge but celebrate it among everyone. This book best represents who I am as an adult because in this generation we are trying to bring more acceptance in this world for the better. There was so much judgment in this society, there still is but we are going to be the generation that minimizes that problem because it shouldn’t happen. 

I like the way the illustrator included drawings of kids to display the diversity the author is trying to portray in her writing. She drew white kids, black kids, bi-racial kids, and Asian kids which can help a child learn that not everyone looks the same but everyone is still can be friends. Learning to accept people for who they are really is helping me in this new college experience because now I’m going to school where there are more people than I usually go with so now I see more differences and I am more accepting towards them. These are going to be values that I can pass on to my younger cousins and future children so that they learn these concepts as well. A strength that the author has is that she makes the sentences rhyme with each other because the children reading the book will have a better understanding of the lesson being taught and will remember it. 

In conclusion, What I Like About Me! by Allia Zobel-Nolan and illustrated by Miki Sakamoto is a book that best represents who I am as an adult. It taught me a lesson about how to accept your differences and that not everyone is the same. The book also taught me that if you don’t judge people, we can unite and be friends based on personality and not by the way you look. 

Final Draft

Diversity is Necessary

What I Like About Me! by Allia Zobel-Nolan and illustrated by Miki Sakamoto is a children’s book that teaches a great lesson on diversity and accepting one’s self for one is. This book is mainly targeted for three to eight-year-olds and the lesson they take away from it is something they can use in their lives forever. The artwork in the book shows the diversity that kids would be exposed to like someone with straight hair and someone with curly hair. The author brings up the idea that kids can have fun no matter how tall or short they are, as long as they are together. 

The illustrator included pictures of many different types of kids like a kid with a unibrow, someone with big ears, someone with braces, and even a child with big feet. The book also touched on how kids come from different backgrounds of life and they realized this when they attended lunch. The children in the lunch table had brought their own food from home which showed their culture and some of the foods were a burrito, sushi, and curry. In the end, all the students in the class came to the conclusion that they all don’t look the same but that’s what makes life great. The ending also includes an interactive part because it includes a mirror so when the child reads it they can see themselves and read the question on top “What is it you like best about you?”. The moral of this book is to accept your differences and celebrate your differences with the people around you. 

This children’s book does represent who I am as an adult because it helped me learn about different people and accepting everyone’s differences. The style of the book puts those ideas in such a simple way for children and everyone to understand. As a child, I never understood why people look the way they do and I would always question it. I was always made fun of when I was younger because my arms were hairier than some girls and this book would have helped those kids realized that everyone is not the same and we should not judge but celebrate it among everyone. This book best represents who I am as an adult because in this generation we are trying to bring more acceptance in this world for the better. There was so much judgment in this society, there still is but we are going to be the generation that minimizes that problem because it shouldn’t happen. If you go on Twitter, any injustice that happens racially, our generation has always been there to back up and support the people that have been done upon. The more that we advocate for more inclusivity, the more that it will be shown on all platforms and then it will not be as much of a problem 

I like the way the illustrator included drawings of kids to display the diversity the author is trying to portray in her writing. She drew white kids, black kids, bi-racial kids, and Asian kids which can help a child learn that not everyone looks the same but everyone still can be friends. Learning to accept people for who they are really is helping me in this new college experience because now I’m going to school where there are more different types of people than I usually go with so now I see more differences and I am more accepting towards them. These are going to be values that I can pass on to my younger cousins and future children so that they learn these concepts as well. A strength that the author has is that she makes the sentences rhyme with each other because the children reading the book will have a better understanding of the lesson being taught and will remember it. 

In conclusion, What I Like About Me! by Allia Zobel-Nolan and illustrated by Miki Sakamoto is a book that best represents who I am as an adult. It taught me a lesson about how to accept differences and that not everyone’s the same. The book also taught me that if one doesn’t judge people, we can unite and be friends based on personality and not by the way we look. 

Reflection

This reflection is for the assignment of the summary and response about what children’s book best reflects you as an adult. With this assignment, I learned that even if it’s a book for children, I can still relate to it to this day. My perspective of this writing is that you can use stories that are told to children in any part of your life. Me learning about people’s differences can benefit me in all my parts of life because not everyone looks the same. In society right now, with social media, everyone sees the same look and it is set out to be the most beautiful way to look and if you don’t reflect that then you’re not beautiful. That is something that affects me but now that I know about this book I can see that not everyone is supposed to look the same. I hoped that I accomplished to be able to analyze children’s books in a different way. I also learned about all the grammar mistakes that I tend to make when I write and how I can fix them. In this assignment, instead of analyzing the book from a child’s perspective I analyzed it an adult’s perspective. This helps me understand the book more and get into a deeper level of thinking about it. I also hoped that I accomplished to be able to write my opinion about a book. The need that motivated me to write this is to be able to understand how to analyze children’s books more deeply. The potential audience for this essay could be other adults that are reading this. They can also learn how to connect a book to their adult life as well.